Friday, April 4, 2014

Film still by Jason Kauffman of Alpenglow Press

Some thoughts on outsourcing for artists.

As I painted in the lovely spring green of the Boise foothills today, I was feeling very grateful for all the people who help me do what I love to do. Very obviously this list begins first with my parents who have always supported my artistic endeavors, and second with collectors who keep my dream alive with their purchases of my work.

But a close third comes a list of skilled people who own their own businesses that help mine look and function better. Last year I read The Four Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss, and it gave me a lot ideas, many of which I now realize I've implemented. This book at first baffled me. How could I possibly reduce what I do into four hours, and why would I want to? I love to paint. What I realized is that there were ways to minimize the hours I spend each week doing everything involved in my business BESIDES painting so that I can paint more. I could very easily spend all my time working on my website, meeting clients, researching opportunities, and never actually get to creating new work.

This is where outsourcing comes in. The idea is to figure out which necessary tasks are time consuming, you don't enjoy, and don't make the best use of your skills. Then figure out if you can afford to pay someone better at it to do it for you.

Outsourcing is terrifying at first. How can I, an early career artist who is just scraping by, afford to pay people to do things I could do myself? But by changing this thought process into the question of "how much do I make per hour doing what I do best and only I can do" it quickly becomes a no-brainer. Professionals can do the jobs you find frustrated and incompetent doing in a fraction of the time. And at a fraction of the cost, once you figure out how much you could be making per hour doing what you are best at. Outsourcing is a leap of faith but it quickly reveals that you can't afford NOT to if you are going to spend more time doing what only you can do.

Here are some of the jobs I've outsourced: building, stretching, priming and sanding stretcher bars and panels, accounting, errands, printing and mounting exhibition materials, website maintenance, online research, and promotional videos.

Many of the things I thought I and I alone could do, really can be done by others much better. It was a process to admit this and trust others (especially making my own stretcher bars), but well worth it. Most of this outsourcing I've paid for directly, but for some items I have participated in mutually-desired trades. It has all ben so worth it, and I've noticed that my studio procedures have become more streamlined and efficient - after all if you are paying someone for their time you want to make sure what they are doing is necessary! I have also become much more organized, as my three studio assistants have witnessed.

I have found so many amazingly skilled people in this town, and I'd like to recognize them here! This is just a list of those I happen to work with, and of course there are many others who do great jobs too.

                 My wonderful studio assistants, Vivianne Siqueiros and Val Kempton, both seniors at Timberline High, prime, sand, and help me with online work. My third assistant (and mother) Teri Devine, does all my errands and accounting, and those who have met her know that she is much less rushed and friendlier than I am when I'm on the job. John Studebaker in Garden City is a local woodworker who builds beautiful custom frames and supports, and Jake and Moriah at Evermore Print in downtown Boise is my go-to for imaging and printing. David Ultis from the Reuseum designed and fabricated my wet painting carrying box. Jason Kauffman of Alpenglow Press just made a promotional video for my Indiegogo campaign that will launch next week. When I saw his seamless editing and beautiful camera work, it made me chuckle to think that a few months ago I was considering trying to make a film on my own.

                 Thank you to all these people and others, including fellow artists who have created such a vibrant art community here in Boise. From my experience, I encourage all artists to take the leap and find people who can help you do your creative work better and more often.

dfd

So 

So 
dfdf



No comments:

Post a Comment