Wednesday, June 18, 2014




a tinyExpanse architectural adventure.

Kiasma from Musiikkitalo


I was beside myself today, spending the morning painting between Kiasma, the museum designed by American architect Stephen Holl, and the Musiikkitalo, designed by LPR Architects in Turku. Earlier in my stay in Helsinki I have also had the pleasure of painting the Kamppi Chapel, Turku's fortress, the Turun Linna, and numerous street views of Helsinki. I have been amazed that the process of painting these beautiful buildings reveal the apparent simplicity of their forms to be deceptive - the elegance of their designs as a coherent form can make the incredibly sophisticated details of the design hard to see at first glance. I suppose what I've learned from spending some time in this city is that good design does this - the form of a well-designed thing can be so harmonious and perfectly functional that it is almost not noticed - for me, at least.
Until I try to paint it. Kiasma has been the most striking example of this. It reminds me of a children's wooden puzzle, where the pieces snuggle together so perfectly and together form a simple shape. In Kiasma's case, beautiful light-filled designed exhibition spaces snuggle together into a smooth whole, which reminds me a little of the belly of a shark. 
I love the experience of painting a building, or any object for that matter, for the sense of intimacy I form with the object. It feels like I am conducting a course of study with the artist who made it, understanding why this angle is juxtaposed next to that one, how complicated the problem and how clever the solution. 
Even if you don't paint, my challenge to you is to try sketching your favorite building and gain a completely new relationship with it that will enhance your experience of it forever.

Uudenmaankatu
Kamppi Chapel
Mikael Agricola Kirkko
Kiasma
Turun Linna
Musiikkitalo and Finnish
National Museum from Kiasma

No comments:

Post a Comment